Thursday, September 20, 2007

Superbad - it was great until it ended

OK, so here's a glimpse into the "inside" of the movie biz.

Wednesday afternoon, we got a call from the Miles City theatre telling me they had booked "Superbad" for this weekend and they were supposed to get our print. A half-hour after that phone call, our booker called me and told me the same thing.

Good to go, right?

Now it's not as easy to send a print of a movie to Miles City as it is to just send it back to the film exchange. Miles City likes their film to arrive on two 6000-foot reels, rather than the six small ones it normally comes on. So we put the film onto the big reels, and pack up the regular "shipping" reels into the box they came in, and haul the whole mess over to my day job where George from Miles City will pick it up the next day.

Normally it goes that way, and everything's fine.

THIS time however, George called me up today and said they had received another print of Superbad from the film exchange, so there is no reason for him to come and get our print. So that means I have to haul everything back to the theatre, put the film back onto the small shipping reels and then haul it to the post office to ship it out a day late.

This is the kind of thing that makes me long for "digital cinema."

No comments: